Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Self-Fulfilling Prophecy

I took many different psychology classes in college, and fell in love with the mind and why people do what they do. I learned the definition of self-fulfilling prophecy, it is, in the beginning, a false definition of a circumstance, event, or person creating a new behavior which makes the original circumstance, event or persons false come 'true'.

It occurred to me today as I was cleaning up Jacks banana mess (he pushed a chair over to the counter and managed to open two bananas and smash them all over the floor) maybe this is an example of self-fulfilling prophecy.

We call Jack monster - and he acts like a monster. We call him monkey, and what do monkeys eat? yes bananas. Well from now on I will call him 'sit on the couch and don't move'. Or maybe I will take Clints suggestion and tie him to a stake in the backyard with enough slack so he can move around - a little.

1 comment:

  1. I vote for "sit on the couch and don't move", but knowing my little Jack, that would probably be a "non self-fulfilling prophecy".

    ReplyDelete