Sunday, November 21, 2010

The True Spirt

Before I was married I worked in a gym, and during the Christmas Holiday, they choose a family from their church to 'adopt' and asked the members if they wanted to participate in helping to make their Christmas memorable, they could bring in a toy or donate money. We had a list of the names and ages of the kids. It was strange to me that under the tree we had, was usually close to nothing. I didn't understand how these women who had so much ($$$) couldn't share a little of what they had. The day before they would take the items to the family my friend that I worked with and I would go out and buy. Buy until we thought it was enough and even amongst the kids. I loved doing it!

When I got married, I was blessed to marry into a family that also had this tradition. They would 'adopt' a family from the school that my mother in law works at, and we would buy. Sometimes things just never seem like enough. Last year Clint and I talked to our Bishop and was given a few ward members that were in need, and we with the help of the in laws, were able to make their Christmas a little better.

It is that time of year again. I talked to my Bishop today, and was given a name of a family that needs a little help. When he told me who, I knew that this was coming from Heavenly Father. It is the first time in almost 10 years of doing this that I know Heavenly Father has His hand in it. ( I know He has His hand in all things)

I know that whatever we can give them, they will be thankful. I don't ever expect a thank you (it is supposed to be anonymous). I don't expect to receive blessings for doing this. Just being able to do this is the blessing; And I am grateful for that.

I am having a spiritual night, something I am also thankful for.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Katie. I am renewed with the spirit of giving just by reading your post. Let us know how we can help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talked a little to Clint about the family. We are ready and excited. Let the shopping begin!

    ReplyDelete